background

Monday, August 30, 2010

I'm back! Time for some new recipes! BBQ Roast Pork




Well, it's been a busy summer with the move from Missouri to Florida the beginning of August. Still many boxes to unpack but cooking is a stress reliever for me, so may as well try some new recipes while feeding the family. I am SO behind on adding recipes. I hope to become better about that.


BBQ Roast Pork
Down Home with the Neelys- Date Night episode- The Food Network





Ingredients

Dry Rub:
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 (3 to 4-pound) pork loin


Strawberry BBQ Sauce:



2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 small red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups strawberries, tops removed, roughly chopped
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup strawberry nectar or mixed berry nectar
1/4 cup strawberry jam
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce




And just cuz I can-- check out those beautiful strawberries! :D


Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix together all of the dry rub ingredients in a small bowl. Rub the pork with canola oil and generously sprinkle the rib all over the pork. Put in a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight. This is what it looked like when I took it out of fridge the next day- and it smelled SO good!




BBQ sauce: Add the oil to a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Saute until soft and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the strawberries and sugar and cook until the strawberries begin to break down and the sugar dissolves. Add the ketchup, water, strawberry nectar, jam, mustard, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Justing starting to simmer:


After 30 minutes:



Put the pork in a roasting pan and roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 145 degrees F, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Brush with BBQ sauce the last 10 minutes of cooking.

Remove the pork from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.





COOKS TIPS:

It was hard to find the strawberry nectar in a couple stores. My husband found it in the Mexican section of a store, that is one spot I hadn't personally looked. It came in a can and was only about 50cents. I didn't realize I purchased a bone in loin- so when I got home, we cut the ribs off, so we had "ribs" and "boneless pork loin" when done. I put the rub on both and was in fridge overnight.

I baked in the oven as called for, to simply save time as I had hungry kiddos, otherwise I probably would have grilled outside the entire time. When it was time for basting, I did take outside to the grill and put the sauce on for last 10 minutes.




FAMILY CRITIQUE:

Most of the family wasn't thrilled about having to try strawberry BBQ sauce. They said it sounded gross and questioned why on earth I would want to ruin bbq sauce by putting strawberries in it. My husband at least didn't say it was gross, he said it sounded "different" but was willing to try it. My 11 year old nephew came for dinner and I was afraid he wouldn't even try it. He did, and he loved it. He even said it was tender, moist and full of flavor. My 13 and 16 year olds were pretty against trying it, and my son even went to the fridge to get the Kraft bbq out! It turns out they loved the strawberry bbq sauce, on the meat or with meat pieces dipped in, but not by itself. They wish they had more ribs as they really enjoyed those. I have leftover sauce in the fridge, so might get some ribs to use the sauce up. There was not one bite of the 4 pounds of meat left, my husband had thought it would be too much for the 6 of us. My Mom ate with us too and she said the sauce had a nicely sweet, flavorful taste to it with a tiny kick from the jalapeno. She was afraid it would be too hot as she doesn't like spicy, and I had used a good size jap. It was excellent, tho I think it was unanimous that next time let it grill a little longer so it is a little more crisp on the outside like they like it. I would take it out of the oven sooner tho, as this meat wasn't dried out at all, and I wouldn't want that to occur. I encourage you to try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment