background

Monday, May 3, 2010

Harvest Chicken Salad



The Pampered Chef Harvest Chicken Salad Recipe-
Seasons Best Recipe Collection Cookbook Fall Winter 2006 edition

Keep in mind-- Pampered Chef writes their recipes down with all of their products mentioned throughout. I know it drives some people crazy. Of course you can use whatever tools you want to prepare!

Dressing

2 oranges
1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon each salt and ground black pepper
1 small garlic clove, pressed

Salad

1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach leaves
2 cups diced roasted chicken
1 cup diced celery
2 medium Red Delicious apples
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1/2 cup toasted pecan halves (optional)
Orange segments and Whole-Grain Croutons (optional)



For dressing, zest one orange using Lemon Zester/Scorer to measure 2 teaspoons zest. Juice oranges to measure 1/2 cup juice. Combine orange zest, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, salt, black pepper and garlic pressed with Garlic Press in Classic Batter Bowl; whisk until smooth using Stainless Whisk. While continuously whisking, add orange juice in a thin, steady stream; set dressing aside.


For salad, place spinach in bottom of large serving bowl. Dice chicken and celery using Utility Knife. Cut apples in half lengthwise; remove stems and seeds using Cook's Corer®. Cut each apple half into four wedges; crinkle cut wedges into small pieces using Crinkle Cutter. Chop onion using Food Chopper. Layer chicken, celery, apples, onion, cranberries and pecans, if desired, over spinach. To serve, drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat. Top with orange segments and Whole-Grain Croutons, if desired. Serve immediately.


Yield: 12 servings


Nutrients per serving: Light (1 cup salad): Calories 100, Total Fat 2 g, Saturated Fat .5 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Carbohydrate 13 g, Protein 7 g, Sodium 170 mg, Fiber 2 g


Cook's Tip: To toast pecans, spread over bottom of Small Oval Baker. Microwave on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until fragrant and lightly toasted, stirring after each 30-second interval.

A 2-pound rotisserie-cooked chicken can be used to prepare this recipe, if desired.


Preparing Orange Segments:
To cut orange into segments, cut a thin slice from the top and the bottom using Utility Knife; stand upright. Cutting from top to bottom, carefully trim away peel and white membrane.

Cut down one side of membrane. Angle knife under segment and lift out. Repeat with remaining segments


MY COOKS TIPS: My made my own croutons quickly by tossing some homemade bread cubes into a bag with a little olive oil, garlic & a little italian seasoning. Baked in 400 degree oven til nice and toasty. I threw the pecan pieces on there also and toasted them at same time. I also roasted my chicken in my wonderful Pampered Chef stoneware Deep Covered Baker with Jamaican Jerk Rub. Microwaved for 20 minutes, and then let set for 10, it was perfect and fast. I also used a large bag of spinach at store not the small one. More than enough dressing. I have also prepared before with honey mustard and yellow mustard. Obviously you don't have to use fat free dressing, substitute what you use. If you use Miracle Whip, I find you don't need to add any sugar. Even when I use mayo, I don't use as much sugar as it calls for. The dressing is yummy. You can even substitute OJ from the jug if no fresh oranges. I also never add salt to the dressing, I find it's not necessary.

FAMILY CRITIQUE: Just me and the kids eating dinner tonight. Needed a fast dinner as we have a band concert tonight. I love the salad, super yummy and makes me feel as if I am doing something healthy for my body! :) Ashley enjoyed it because it was different than a usual salad. Michael said "it's okay". I noticed he ate a large plate of it. He tends to have an aversion to things that seem healthier! ;o) This salad is a winner.


No comments:

Post a Comment